Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Blogsmog

Hello all,

I just want to say that I agree that the ice-breaker activities worked well because I feel a nice rapport in LLED 315, that I don't necessarily feel in other classes (of course our small class size helps, which according to Time magazine, makes smaller colleges better in terms of quality of education than Ivy leagues)...will UBC conform to an American standard of what universities should be about? recently the sports sector of UBC applied to compete against US teams, and be considered in their college leagues as one of them...I know its sports so it doesn't count (haha) but what are the implications of this? will other things be soon to follow in Americanizing our school? I know that UBC is trying to internationalize itself, but what does this mean? does it mean to rank itself as a first world powerhouse amongst other capitalist institutions? Is it fair that an international dental student has to pay 50,000 bucks just in tuition each year to become a dentist? (of course international fees are way hiked up in other departments too, but I found that one to be particularly shocking).

So is UBC internationalizing so that it can make big bucks off of foreigners vying to get a piece of American pie and eat a bite of the dream? I know that Martha Piper sold a lot of UBC land to developers to build condos...before she retired she talked about all of the revenue she created at UBC...land that makes this university beautfiul and unique...if you want to see it check out the UBC farmers market at the agricultural farm on campus saturday am starting at 9. Here you feel like you are in the country and can buy fresh organic produce until the end of september. THe land won't be there long so take advantage....pave paradise put up a parking lot oooh lalalalala!

from ranter Madelaine

1 Comments:

Blogger Sheena said...

I just wanted to comment on some parts of your entry since I used to work for the UBC Development Office, or UBC Fund, which does fundraising for UBC. One of the complaints I heard while working there was that UBC did not have enough school spirit like the schools south of the border. School spirit there is supposed to be so strong that first year alumni can be called and asked for and expected to give a $500 donation to their school. When I worked at the development office two years ago the alumni average gift was $96 I think.

10% of UBC's budget relies on donations, and 90% of those donations come from alumni, which I think is a significant number, but apparently alumni of Canadian universities aren't as giving as their American counterparts.

The whole idea behind adding more international students into UBC is so that more local students can come to UBC, (or at least that's the argument that was used whenever someone complained that international students were taking spots that could go to local students). I think the stat was for every single international student that comes to UBC, two more local students can come.

Do I think this is right, or that UBC should continue to internationalize itself? I think the trend is moving more towards developing a strong research university (because it can lead to potential and lucrative business deals).

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home