Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ellis and Grammar Teaching

Hello!

I agreed with what Ellis had to say about grammar teaching being most effective when paired with task-based instruction. I think when grammar is taught before students practice using the language, it makes them more aware of what they're saying and what they're trying to imply. An example I guess would be, I want to go home versus I would go home. The first one could mean that the student is homesick and wants to go home, but can't because there are greater powers preventing the student from going, and then the second one could mean that the student is homesick, but will not because he or she wishes to do something before going. Of course there are a lot of other meanings that could be taken from these two sentences, but I see the first one as more negative than the second one.

Of course, if grammar is taught, the question is, what should be taught first? I like the idea that there's a general order for learning grammar for language learners. It makes lesson planning a little bit easier. Sure things will probably have to be changed, but at least teachers will have an idea of where to start or continue onto after a deviation. . . Some things are easier to explain and teach than others. Prepositions I think are tricky. I've heard some teachers tell their students to just memorize where to use them. So tell students to read a lot and pay attention to prepositions as they read?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home